Paying for care

If you, or a member of your family, need care and support you may be entitled to help with the cost. You will need to contact your local Council, who has a duty to assess your care needs.

This assessment is carried out by a social worker or social care officer to establish:

• Whether you have care needs, for example as a result of disabilities or health problems

• Whether you are eligible for financial help from the council

• If you are eligible, how those needs can be met

For many people with eligible needs, the local Council will provide a personal budget, which is a way of giving people choice and control over the care services they receive.